OT question about Macbook (OS X) file systems

Tomasz Torcz tomek at crocom.com.pl
Fri Aug 22 09:15:14 UTC 2008

Dnia 2008-08-20, śro o godzinie 09:05 -0700, Dean S. Messing pisze:
> > > Is there F/S that Mac and Linux have in common that supports
> > > symlinking?  I have the ntfs-3g stuff installed on this F8 machine,
> > > but I don't know if (i) Mac speaks it and (ii) it supports symlinks.
> > > I can find out for myself if (ii) is true, but I don't
> > > have access to a Mac to find out (i).
> >
> >   ZFS. Macs have it built-in, on Linux you need zfs-fuse (just like
> > ntfs-3g). Plus, you got data integrity protection (provided enough
> > redundancy) thrown as bonus.
>
> Not according to the apple store tech guy.
> (But I really don't know, first hand.  Do you?)

  I don't own a Mac personally, it is info I got from Internet. Mac Os
10.5 Leopard has ZFS read-only support¹ (with read-write available with
some -devel package), and 10.6 Snow Leopard will have full read-write
support².

¹ for example:
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199903525
http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2007-June/028820.html