Java applets not starting F-9 , firefox-3

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Aug 22 22:55:42 UTC 2008

Per Anton Rønning wrote:

>>> This is installed  -- but it does not work in your environment?
>>> Maybe that is the problem then,...
>>> and RHEL - Red Hat Enterprise?? What plugin does it use to execute
>>> applets?
>>
>> gcjwebplugin.so does not work as hoped.  This is the open source
>> environment.
>>
>>> Is there something else besides gcjwebplugin.so that might help
>>> execute java applets?
>>
>> I think what needs to be understood is that, at least for me, the Sun
>> supplied java pieces work just fine with the URLs that you have listed.
> Ok, that may be it. I'd better clean the PC of everything Java
> runtime-related, and reinstall
> the programs from Sun.
> Fedora 9 had Java installed ($java did execute before I started
> downloading anything)
> I guess this is Java Development  then - since JRE was missing.
> Am I then safe to assume that removal of everything under
> /usr/java/jre1.n... (I have both n=5 and n=6) will be enough?
> The libjavaplugin_oji.so is set to point to jre1.5... and I cannot
> remember where I got that from.
> So, my procedure would be:
> Delete everything below /usr/java - download jre.1.5-- from Sun and
> install it.
> (I did also use www.java.com before)
> I did not use .rpm downloads, some advice I picked up in some article I
> read.
> I have observed that the install procedure (starting the self extracting
> .bin file) is creating some libraries, do I have to remove these as
> well, or will they be overwritten?
> I cannot remember where they were located, perhaps yum can list then  ..
> (that I cannot remember either, I am going to buy more memory! :-)  )

I would surely buy more memory.  :-)

I would also recommend using the rpms in the future.  Makes
installing/uninstalling/updating much easier.

FWIW, you can also confirm what lib FF is referencing by doing an:

lsof -p XXXX    where XXXX is the PID of FF and then grepping the output for
  "plugin".

> BTW: In what environment exactly did you manage to bring up the login
> screen?

My environment is Red Hat Enterprise Linux V 4.7 with FF 3.0.1 and Sun's
latest java and java plugin.

> You use jre1.5--- ?

No, I've installed Sun's jdk-1.6.0_07-fcs.

>> The open-java stuff does not work.
>>
>> As far as I can tell you have both the open-java as well as the Sun
>> java environments installed.  It isn't clear to me what environment is
>> being picked up by your browser.
>>
> Honestly, it is not clear to me either right now. I was not aware that
> this was an issue,
> so I did not think about it at all.

Use the lsof to determine that.