pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Sun Aug 24 17:23:11 UTC 2008

On Sunday 24 August 2008, Craig White wrote:
>On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 01:21 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> And now, even samba seems to have failed, with ubuntu apparently using an
>> incompatible version.  I was backing up the kubuntu's machines /home
>> directory with amanda, but I never got around to rebuilding the amanda
>> client after finding the hard way that that particular machine apparently
>> cannot tolerate 2 pata hard drives, it seemed to like to trash the
>> filesystems on both in a week, but with just one drive it runs for years.
>
>----
>samba has made a lot of changes from 3.0.23 to current and has broken
>many setups because they are getting tighter integration into Windows
>and have disrupted a lot of marginal setups.
>
>as far as amanda and pata drives...I wouldn't know because I stopped
>using amanda (though I liked it) in favor of bacula.

I should get amanda working as a client on that machine, its considerably more
secure when setup correctly.  Unforch, much of that security can be perceived
as broken by shoehorning the old girl into a packaging system such as rpm,
which has no (visible) facilities to do some things as the user, and some
things as root, which the normal amanda install from the tarball does.

And to clarify an apparent assumption, there is no problem with the pata
drives that is even remotely amanda related, particularly since amanda is not
installed on that box.  All I have to do to trash the filesystems on both
drives is connect a 2nd drive to either the IDE0 or IDE1 cables on that
particular box.  The second drive doesn't even have to be mounted, just
there.  Its a Mach-Speed mobo FWIW.  ATM the dvd reader is on IDE1, and a
46GB pata drive on IDE0.  Working great now for about a year that way.

>----
>
>> I did have nfs running between them, for about a week, but local weather
>> created a power failure that outlasted both UPS's, and that hasn't worked
>> since the reboots.  And typical of nfs when it fails, no error msg, it
>> just doesn't mount.
>
>----
>the errors can be cryptic - usually a stale mount and a
>'umount -l -f /path/to/nfs/mount && mount /path/to/nfs/mount'
>should fix this.
>----
Stale locks at bootup after doing a graceful shutdown?  That is buggy code...

>> >I would like to state for the record that like Rex, I have many, many
>> >systems running with pulseaudio and no problems.
>> >
>> >Craig
>>
>> And how many of those involve using the motherboard, a generally simple
>> audio system for something like skype, and a real audio card (if indeed
>> one can call an Audigy2 Value (SBO400, driven by emu10k1) a real audio
>> card, but at least it is not a winmodem) for all other system sound
>> duties, each to be totally isolated from the other?
>>
>> If you do have such a setup, please share how you did it.  Show *me* the
>> .conf files that achieve that.  Examples are worth 10k words (inflation)
>> you know.
>
>----
>to be honest...I've never fooled with pulseaudio configurations at all
>and know very little about them...it just works. Sorry for my blissful
>ignorance.
>
>Craig

Chuckle.  Now if I could just find someone who does know whereof he speaks
about pulseaudio configuration details.  But I can't get a top secret
clearance. :(

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)