pulseaudio, howto make it work?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Aug 24 18:42:44 UTC 2008

Russell Miller wrote:

>> I believe pulseaudio has a framework that can act as a suitable sound
>> server for a multiuser system or even network-stream access across
>> multiple systems, but the fedora configuration emulates a toy
>> single-user box instead.  The bug isn't so much with either pulseaudio
>> or consolekit specifically but with the choice to run pulseaudio in a
>> session rather than as a service. It just doesn't work for scenarios
>> where you don't dedicate the whole box to being someone's personal
>> device.
>>
> I think it's a very cogent point.  At the same time, the usual use case
> for someone who would actually *use* audio is that they would be logged
> into the console and would be doing stuff that requires sound, and no
> one else would.

That would be the case on a single user OS.  But one of the reasons you
would install a unix-like OS would be to get away from those limitations
and to be able to do things remotely without being tied to a particular
console window.

> Perhaps this is another case of making things easier for the vast
> majority of users while making things phenomenally more difficult for
> the edge cases.  Shrug.  Guess it's a design philosophy.

It just seems like a big mistake to throw away the advantages of the
unix-like system to give people what they were used to on their more
limited OS.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com