Adobe Flash only works sometimes

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Aug 25 02:40:18 UTC 2008

Lonni J Friedman:
>> I've got a few Fedora9(x86) systems with Adobe's flash plugin installed.
>>  For most websites, the flash plugin works just fine (Youtube, etc).
>> However, there are some websites where flash doesn't work at all.  When
>> I end up at a website where its not working, I have a big white square
>> where the flash content should be, or sometimes, I get a nasty error
>> that I need to install Flash.

Amadeus W.M.:
> I've had the same problem for some time and I kind of gave up on it. CNN
> is one notorious site that doesn't work for me. Invariably, any video
> either blanks out or tries to skip to the next one in the list. However, I
> noticed that if I reload the page several times, it eventually plays.

I get the same with youtube.  Often I'll get Flash appear to load, then
vanish, leaving a blank space, and several page reloads will be needed
to kick it back into working.  Occasionally, the failure will happen
part way into playing the file, with the same blank space effect and
reloading required.  Rarely I'll be told I don't have Flash installed,
but seeing as that happens so rarely, I've put that down to stupid
webmasters doing stupid tests.  And there are a few sites where the
player just never works.

Perhaps related:  If on youtube I ope another page in a background tab
while playing a video, the playing video will often abort (in the above
manner).

I get the impression that the Flash player crashes really easily.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.