update error on F9

Paul Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Aug 25 04:54:39 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-08-24 at 21:28 -0700, Paul Newell wrote:
>
>> Finally managed to get FC5 upgraded to F9 by forgetting the upgrade and
>> doing a full re-installation (the thread on 6 -> 9 made it clear I had
>> to do that if I had any errors).
>>
>> Even managed to get internet access which I could never do on FC5, so
>> I'm already ahead of the game.
>>
>> I got the expected notice of all the stuff that needed to be updated via
>> pop-up and said "sure" after I had logged in as root to make sure there
>> would be no permissions issue. It failed with the following error message:
>>
>> org.freedesktop.packagelist.update-system
>> auth_admin_keep_always
>>
>> I tried from the other pulldown (admin?) for update system, got the
>> window, said update, it did nothing.
>>
>> I was able to verify that I could get an update by downloading Firefox
>> 3.0.1 (install DVD has Firefox 3 Beta 5) ... of course I couldn't
>> install it as I could figure it out since it wasn't the "ultra newbie"
>> Windows "download, click, install" system (since I've never had internet
>> access on Linux, I know this is another issue I have to learn ... and will).
>>
>> My question to fedora-list is "what is the org.frredesktop.etc error and
>> how to I correct so it will work". If I need to go command line and do
>> it through yum, that's okay ... I just need a bit of guidance on the
>> process.
>>
> ----
> no reason to log in as root to update...the package manager will ask for
> root password before proceeding.
>
> I would guess that updates are failing because some process is running
> which is blocking other processes from running at this point, perhaps
> the best thing you could do is restart, log in as normal and let the
> update go (it will take a long time because several hundred packages
> have been updated since the DVD release).
>
> Probably best to let update handle updating Firefox too.
>
> Craig

Actually, the only reason I tried to download Firefox manually was to
see if there was any problem getting updates. I noticed Firefox was in
the list the updater wanted to deal with.

Kevin suggested the same thing, log in as normal (not root) and see what
happens. I plan to try this next week

I am a bit curious why any processes would block me as root but not as a
user, but I think it is best to try suggestions before pushing that one.

Thanks,
Paul