non-disclosure of infrastructure problem a management issue?

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Aug 25 04:56:50 UTC 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 23:25:18 -0500
Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:

> Redhat is going to want to handle incidents like this differently than what
> I expect Fedora to do. I suspect that Redhat's procedure is what was used
> in this case.

I think it is beyond question that Fedora's reputation (if nothing else) has
been damaged by this incident.

Red Hat's response has not done much to mitigate that damage and may have
actually increased it.  Regardless of whether you are in favour of their
response or opposed to it, or even somewhere in between, the mere fact that
this debate is being held makes that point self-evident.

This needs to be brought home to the Red Hat management, and that's where the
community representative's role comes in.

We're here debating this issue.  How many others are reading about this issue
and saying, "I'll look elsewhere".

It's unfortunate and much of this fallout was actually avoidable.

Nobody here wishes Fedora any ill.  If we did, we wouldn't be here.