NFS info

Joseph Loo jloo at acm.org
Wed Aug 27 03:14:45 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 15:44 +0100, Dan Track wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm getting a constant problem where when I boot up a server that is
> moutning the /opt/logs dir from another server, the booting server
> hangs when the nfs server doesn't repond. Could you please give me an
> idea what options or setups I could use to get teh booting server to
> boot up and not hang on the nfs mount section?
>
> Thanks
> Dan

I use the soft,intr options on my nfs mounts.
To me the best way is not to mount the directory unless you need to. I
use autofs to do the mounts for me. That way, when I need to mount the
nfs directory, it will automatically mount and unmount the directory.
This works whenever I reference the directory, e.g., ls /opt/log. this
will cause a mount. I also have a 60 second timeout, so that if I do not
use the mount, it will unmount the directory automatically.
--
Joseph Loo
jloo at acm.org