Amarok, Songbird, and other similar players...

Dan Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Wed Aug 27 15:07:18 UTC 2008

This is a question that has been bugging me for awhile and
countless of hours trying to fix song tags that seems to be
overwritten, or so it seems.

 From what I can tell, it *seems* to me that these players
might be using their own "database" to write over the tags
because no matter what I try via EasyTag, I could never get
these players to incorporate these updates into their database
or song lists.

Am I correctly assuming these players, when started for the
first time collects file tags, adds these tags into their database/list
and from then on "enforces" these tags "downward" and never
checks for updated tags to be incorporated as updates into the
database/list? It seems there is no mechanism to blow away these
player database (at least not from their menu options) other than to
either locate the database and delete them or to completely remove
and re-install the player application?

Many times these player databases/list are completely outdated and
appears in the list or is completely wrong as far as the way I want
them to appear.

It seems that these players are designed to be database/list centric?
Songbird on the other hand appears to keep it's own database/list
updates with "metadata" but does not actually update file tags
because I would edit and update the metadata then check the file's
song-tags and there would be no changes?

What do you do to resolve these issues?

Thanks in kind,
Dan