Turn off bash completion?

Mike McCarty Mike.McCarty at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 27 15:51:55 UTC 2008

James Wilkinson wrote:
> Mike McCarty wrote:
>> I'd like to disable the bash "completion" feature. I've read
>> the info bash stuff, and I see lots of ways to specify what
>> happens after or during completion, but I didn't see (overlooked?)
>> how to turn it off. Any bash gurus out there know how to disable
>> it entirely?
>>
>> I don't want to turn off line editing, just completion.
>
> Out of interest – why? The easiest way would surely be just not to use
> it.

Because I find that I'm frequently hitting TAB when intending
to use CAPS-LOCK and getting extraneous stuff in my command line
which I then have to edit back out.

> The bash man page says:
>    disable-completion (Off)

Thanks! I don't know how I  missed that in the info pages. Or
perhaps man is more informative than info. Anyway, looks like what I
need...

[...]

> Hope this helps,

I haven't tried it, but I'm sure it's perfect.

Thanks!

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.