usb plugins cause reboots

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Thu Aug 28 21:07:02 UTC 2008

Jack Howarth wrote, On 08/28/2008 04:18 PM:
>    Has anyone else seen this behavior under Fedora 9 i386?
> I have Fedora 9 with the latest 2.6.25.14-108.fc9 kernel
> installed on a Dell Lattitude D810 portable. The machine runs
> fine with one exception. If I pull in either a usb mouse or
> a usb memory stick into the upper USB port, the machine will
> instantly reboot. The lower USB port doesn't seem to exhibit
> this problem. Are there any known issues with usb causing
> kernel reboots under Fedora 9?
>                       Jack

Some how (history of working with strange equipment) I don't think this is
Fedora 9's fault.

I have seen this happen on a compact-PCI unit that had insufficient current
carrying capacity from the power supply to the backplane, and funny enough the
upper port had the problem more than the lower. [Always fun when the ME has to
show the EE what a couple of caps can temporarily resolve.]

suggestion:
  try booting to grub,
  then hit the up-down arrows to stop grub from booting anything
  then insert the usb memory stick into the upper USB port.

If the machine reboots, I think we both understand that, something is truly
messed up in hardware.  but even if it does not, it is probably a hardware
problem but because you were not in Linux the CPU was not pulling its power,
or grub did not activate the drive.

Still under warranty?

--
Todd Denniston