Gnome Terminal and Session management Query

Richard England rlengland at verizon.net
Fri Aug 29 21:28:54 UTC 2008

Dan Track wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 3:00 PM, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 5:14 PM, Dan Track <dan.track at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> I've got fedora 9 installed and I'd like it to store sessions for all
>>> my routers,switches, firewalls, servers etc just like putty and
>>> securecrt do. How can I manage that in a sensible way, I've got nearly
>>> a 100 different devices so a long list wouldn't be ideal, something
>>> like creating folders e.g network, linux and then storing the sessions
>>> in there would be good.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Dan
>>>
>> Hey Guys,
>>
>> Can anyone give any thoughts on this? I just need to save profiles in
>> a logical way!
>>
>> Thanks
>> Dan
>>

> Hi
>
> Guess no one has this type of problem. I'm curious how do you guys
> then manage all your servers and network devices? Do you memorise the
> hostnames or ip addresses and ssh or telnet in every time you need log
> in?
>
> Is there something fundamental I'm missing?
>
> Dan

I add a "Drawer" to my desk top tool bar.  That drawer contains a set of
"Custom Application Launcher"  entries that run in a Terminal and
execute the command "ssh -Y -l <login name>@<hostname>" .    My login on
each host contains the .profile/.kshrc/ etc  files that define all the
environment settings I need.  I create custom Icons for the Drawer items
that consist of the name of the system.

HTH

~~R