X display errors on some programs preventing them from opening

Claude Jones cjoneslists at tehogeeservices.com
Mon Dec 1 13:58:11 UTC 2008

Firefox, Yumex, among others are not opening (kind of makes it hard to Google
for help);  running from the icon, I just get a long initial display of the
icon in the panel, then it vanishes and the program never opens; running from
the command line, I get this output (in part):
yumex
The program 'yumex.pyc' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
I googled this from a different machine and found a lot of references to xfs
being deprecated, and turning it off; I tried turning it off with chkconfig
and restarting X, but no joy

Does anyone know what I might try next?
--
Claude Jones