Re: some feedback on fedora 10

On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 1:57 AM, Rahul Sundaram
<sundaram fedoraproject org> wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 29 Nov 2008 17:37:34 -0800
>> Russell Miller <duskglow gmail com> wrote:
>>
>>> 4)  KMS seems cool, but it doesn't work on my card, so it falls back to a
>>> lame progress bar on the bottom of the screen.  Can we be a little more
>>> informative than that?  It didn't even tell me I could press escape, I had
>>> to figure that out on my own.
>>
>> Wait, is this the boot time "plymouth" stuff you are talking about?
>> All I've ever seen on any system was a lame progress bar (3 colors,
>> but still lame). I've really wondered what all the plymouth hoopla
>> was about. It can sometimes do more than a progress bar? (Not that
>> I care much, one of the first things I always do is remove the rhgb
>> option so I can actually see information on the screen if something
>> goes wrong).
>
> Read the release notes. You can use vga=ask or vga=0x380 for any system to
> get a framebuffer based progress bar. Removing rhgb is unnecessary since it
> automatically shows any errors if and when it happens. For more details on
> Plymouth, refer
>
> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=fedora_plymouth&num=1
> (video included)
> http://fedoramagazine.wordpress.com/2008/10/21/interview-fedora-10s-better-startup/

I think you're missing the point. Not everyone wants Fedora to be a
shiny happy Microsoft Windows clone.  Not everyone wants X.

L. Friedman                                    netllama gmail com
LlamaLand                       https://netllama.linux-sxs.org