Sending syslog to another machine

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Dec 1 20:52:46 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> lanas wrote:
>> Basically rsyslog works like syslog, but adds a few more options.  So
>> simply specify the server (and optional port) to start with and make a
>> few tests by using the logger utility.
>>
>> *.* @@remote-host:514
>>
>> Replace remote-host with your remote syslog.  514 is the default
>> well-known syslog port so unless you have set up something else, you
>> can leave it there.
>>
>> Don't forget to restart/reload rsyslog (or any other syslog daemon for
>> that matter) after doing configuration changes.  This sometimes can be
>> done by simply sending the daemon a HUP signal:
>>
>> killall -HUP daemon
>>
>> or by restarting it altogether:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/daemon restart
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
> Don't forget to configure the host you are logging to so that it
> will accept logging from an outside machine. By default, it probably
> doesn't.

Don't know about the syslog daemon, but it looks as if the firewall rules don't.
The good think about using a syslog machine is that the *times* match, the bad
thing is that it's a single point of failure, and network connected as well. So
for debugging network issues it's suboptimal.  ;-)

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>