Evolution and F10 [Evo is S L O W]

Jonathan Ryshpan jonrysh at pacbell.net
Tue Dec 2 00:43:54 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-12-01 at 17:46 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
> I don't see slowness. Quite the contrary in fact, as the new code is
> faster at searching than the old. I could live with some initial
> slowness as Evo re-indexed a large message store, but I would expect
> that to be a once-only thing on first startup. Note that I'm not an Evo
> devel, I'm just guessing here.
>
> If the slowness persists, I would suggest 1) emptying trash and then 2)
> removing index files to force Evo to rebuild them.

I surmise that the index files are (e.g.) all those in the following
list, except for the file fedora; and that evolution should be stopped
these files removed and then evolution restarted.  Is this correct?

$ cd .evolution/mail/local/
$ ls -l fedora*
-rw------- 1 jonrysh jonrysh 221217929 Dec  1 16:28 fedora
-rw-r--r-- 1 jonrysh jonrysh       268 Dec  1 16:35 fedora.cmeta
-rw------- 1 jonrysh jonrysh   8821801 Nov 27 12:33 fedora.ev-summary
-rw------- 1 jonrysh jonrysh   1786073 Nov 27 12:33 fedora.ev-summary-meta
-rw------- 1 jonrysh jonrysh         0 Jan 12  2007 fedora.ibex.index
-rw------- 1 jonrysh jonrysh         8 Jan 12  2007 fedora.ibex.index.data