Mixer settings get overridden after start of the X-server

This is a behavior (bug?) I had observed since F9, so I hoped it would be cured in F10, but alas ...

Whenever the X-server starts, the mixer settings of my audio system (kmix, alsamixer) get lost to some rather useless defaults, e. g. I have to manually unmute the right playback channel.

I have found out that the settings are restored correctly at system start: when I boot into runlevel 3, alsamixer shows any settings that I had made before. The calamity seems to happen when X and/or KDE come up.

My sound card is an old but rather complex one (Terratec DMX6Fire 24/96) which has been well supported by the ALSA-drivers for years now.

Thanks in advance for any pointers
Klaus