FC11: Two Suggestions

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Tue Dec 2 21:16:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 16:05:48 -0500
<homburg at tips-Q.com> wrote:

> At the risk of being a complete apostate, I have ALWAYS
> disabled SELinux. Please, no gratuitous lectures. I also
> absolutely loathe the rhgb. IMHO, these should all be
> install options, enabled by default with an "expert only"
> or similar warning.

I also disable them, but if they are "expert only" options,
then the experts know how to disable them :-).

Of more concern is stuff like gdm having (apparently) hard coded
options for starting the X server that always add -nolisten tcp.
There was formerly a way an expert could disable that, but as near
as I can tell the expert options now are: Rebuild from source,
removing the -nolisten option, or replace the X server with a
program that diddles the option string, and then execs the
original X server. Both of those options suffer from not
playing nice with updates :-).