Yum error on rpmfusion

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Wed Dec 3 00:49:10 UTC 2008

Jim wrote:
> Rick Stevens wrote:
>> Jim wrote:
>>> FC10/KDE
>>>
>>> I have the rpmfusion repo setup,but I get a yum error message:
>>>
>>> Could not retrieve mirrorlist
>>> http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorl...d-10&arch=i386
>>> <http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=free-fedora-updates-released-10&arch=i386>
>>> error was
>>> [Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
>>> Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for
>>> repository: rpmfusion-free-updates. Please verify its path and try again
>>>
>>> Does anyone not what know what is going on ??
>>
>> Can you resolve mirrors.rpmfusion.org:
>>
>>     [root at prophead ~]# host mirrors.rpmfusion.org
>>     mirrors.rpmfusion.org has address 129.143.116.10
>>     mirrors.rpmfusion.org has address 213.129.242.84
>>
>> If not, then your DNS isn't set up correctly.  Get that fixed and you'll
>> probably be OK.

>> - Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer                      ricks at nerd.com -
>> - AIM/Skype: therps2        ICQ: 22643734            Yahoo: origrps2 -
>> -                                                                    -
>> -          "How does that damned three seashell thing work?"         -
>> -                           - Sylvester Stallone, "Demolition Man"   -
>>
> I can Ping those two IPs without any problems so that would rule out DNS
> problems.
> Am I right on that ??

Not if you pinged by IP address.  If you pinged by NAME (e.g. "ping
mirrors.rpmfusion.org"), then that would rule out DNS as a name
resolution had to occur.

The "host" command simply does a DNS lookup of the given FQDN (fully
qualified domain name) and returns the IP address(es) of the servers
with that name.  In this case, there's two servers in a DNS round robin
load-balanced (also called a DNS-RR) cluster.
-           What is a "free" gift?  Aren't all gifts free?           -