firefox

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Wed Dec 3 06:13:33 UTC 2008

Nick wrote:
> This is a new clean install of f10
> All I did after the install was yum update and let it do everything it
> wanted

with a clean install, there are several things that you must set up.

networking is not the least of important ones. it actually should be
considered as first to get working correctly.

internet browser and email clients shortly after. so you can get help
setting up networking. :o)

> Im still getting f10 running so got no other mail other than hotmail a the
> moment

being that you are moving to linux, it may well be beneficial to move
up to gmail asap. and you should set up your service provider account
in thunderbird in event that you have problems with gmail.

hotmail is 'ms oriented' and therefore there will be problems you do not
need to be bothered by. several have occurred in past 30 days with their
'improvement updates'.

gmail is very 'linux friendly' and if you have installed thunderbird,
being that you are moving out of ms. it is knowledgeable of gmail setup.
there are other linux email clients if you are so inclined to learn them.

> there is no prior linux

it is not msbsos windows, but it is easy to learn.

> im beginning in linux

welcome to a whole new world of computers and enjoyment.

as poc stated in his post, 'networkmanager' is a service that you will
be better off disabling. unless you are running wifi. for now, if you
are using wifi, i would suggest that you not use it and go 'hardwire'
until you get everything else set up. then you can go after wifi.

i do not have f10 installed yet. i am waiting for 'early bugs' to be found.
for internet, i am using sl5.4, 'scientific linux 5.4, which is a 'rewrite'
of rhel5.4. there will be some difference also, as i am using kde3 and none
of headaches of kde4. if i tell you something different than what you find,
i am sure that poc, chris, or one of other followers of this thread, will
make comment to put you in right direction.

some will/may not see or understand why i set up a system in this way. if
they just give thought to what i do and results i get, hopefully they will
understand. this 'procedure' has worked for me and many others that i have
help in their set up and continues to work. what more can i say.

these instructions are presuming that you are using kde and not gnome
for your desktop. [yes, i should have asked at start what you are using]

to insure that you have a more pleasurable experience with linux,
**do not work as root user**. _always_start_as_a_user_.

you know root password and that is all you need as a user to set up
your system. there are some things that a root login can make easier,
but primarily, the inconvenience of having to enter root password to
do system configs is not that big a deal.

as a suggestion to make things a little easier and linux more enjoyable,
you should disable automatic start up of networking. unless you are in a
networked environment and must start up with networking enabled. which i
do not believe to be in your case.

from kde menu, in 'system > services' or 'preferences > services',
select 'services'.

from 'services' 'menu bar' select 'edit runlevel > runlevel all'.

disable, click [check mark], for each runlevel for 'NetworkManager',
'NetworkManagerDispatcher', 'netfs', 'network'. click 'save' icon and
close 'services' configuration.

on 'taskbar panel', right click kde logo, select 'menu editor'.

in 'menu editor' window, right click on 'internet' or 'system' to hilite
and select 'new item'. enter 'ethernet 0 up', click 'ok'.

to right side, in 'command:', enter '/sbin/ifup eth0'. click 'icon'
selector, square to right of 'name:' and 'description:', this will
give you 'select icon' window. click '[applications]' button, select
'actions' then click '1uparrow'.

next, right click on 'ethernet 0 up' to hilite and select 'new item'.
enter 'ethernet 0 down', click 'ok'.

to right side, in 'command:', enter '/sbin/ifdown eth0'. click 'icon'
selector, square to right of 'name:' and 'description:'. this will give
you 'select icon' window. click '[applications]' button, select 'actions'
then click '1downarrow'.

move cursor pointer to 'floppy disk' icon and click to save.

this now gives you 2 new commands by which you can control your ethernet
connection.

in 'taskbar panel', right click an icon, select 'panel menu > add application
to panel'. select 'internet' or 'system' as chosen above, click 'ethernet 0
up'. repeat and select 'ethernet 0 down'. you now have icons on panel to enable
and disable ethernet.

to make things a little more enjoyable with firefox, open firefox, look
at 'menu bar' and you will see that it is similar to what you used in oos.
main difference will be in what is in 'drop down menus'.

click 'edit', 'preferences' to change firefox to a default start up.
select 'main', set 'when firefox starts:' to 'show a blank page'. close
'preferences'. this will allow firefox to be in an 'online' state and
not go 'offline. nor will it try to connect to internet, regardless of
what state your net work is in.

when opening firefox, one thing that will happen, if you have 'addons',
'addons' will check for updates before starting firefox. if found, you
will be prompted for approval. enable ethernet *before* you ok, or update
will fail.

please excuse my delay in replying. i have had 'personal priorities' to
attend to.

peace out.

tc,hago.

.

****
**
to mess up a linux box, you need to work at it;
to mess up an ms windows box, you just need to *look at* it.
**
learn linux:
'Rute User's Tutorial and Exposition'   http://rute.2038bug.com/index.html.gz
'The Linux Documentation Project'   http://www.tldp.org/