Growing file system for a VMWare installation of F10

Klaus-Peter Schrage kpschrage at gmx.de
Wed Dec 3 07:54:35 UTC 2008

Alex wrote:
> I've installed F10 as a guest system in VMWare. After a few days, I
> realized
> the virtual drive is already approaching its limits, so I plan to enlarge
> it. After reading a bit, the following steps should do it:
>
> The current disk layout is quite simple. Only 2 partitions, /dev/sda1
> mounted on / and /dev/sda2 for swapspace.
>
> * Backup everything (easy, just backup the VMWare virtual disk drive)
>
> * use vmware-vdiskmanager to grow the virtual drive
>
> * use the install medium to boot into rescue mode, but do NOT let the
> rescue
>   console mount the partition(s)
>
> * perform a full (-f) file system check
>
> * use fdisk to a) delete the swap partition (which directly follows the
>   primary root partition)
>
> * again fdisk to delete the primary partition immediately followed by
>   recreating it with the new size (leave the desired amount of free space
>   for the new swap partition).
>
> * use resize2fs on the new partition to grow the file system.
>
> * create a new swap partition using the remaining free space. Modify
>   /etc/fstab with the new UUID of the newly created swapspace.
>
> That should basically do it, right? Any things which could go wrong except
> for the odd typo when recreating the partition?

Ok, but as I can see, you'll end up with a new, larger /dev/sda1 and an
empty filesystem mounted on / (aside from a new swap). How do you want
to recover your data from your old virtual drive?
What I did in your situation: After growing my virtual drive with
vmware-vdiskmanager I booted into the virtual machine with a GParted
bootable disk. With GParted I could resize the file system on / without
data loss.
Klaus