Re: Help with DNS hell

Hi Tom,

On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 13:12, Tom Horsley <tom horsley att net> wrote:
On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 12:32:47 -0200
Andre Costa wrote:

> Anyone knows what could cause this specific behavior? Any help will be much
> appreciated. Let me know if you need additional info.

The absolute simplest way to get things running again is to install
"bind" from the installation media (if it isn't already there), don't
configure it at all, but just go ahead and start the "named" service
it will install. This will get you a local DNS server that talks
directly to the root DNS servers, bypassing your ISP's DNS servers
completely. Then point your /etc/resolv.conf file to "nameserver 127.0.0.1"
and you should be working well enough to get to sites where you can learn
how to config bind as a caching server instead, like these:

http://www.redhatmagazine.com/2006/11/16/how-to-set-up-a-home-dns-server/
http://www.redhat.com/magazine/026dec06/features/dns/

You moght also need to add the line

OPTIONS="-4"

to the /etc/sysconfig/named file to tell it only do IPv4 names.

Thks for the info, I didn't know that the default setup was already suited for caching purposes. Still, no luck here =( I did all you said above, and when do eg. 'dig www.mozilla.com' it sents out lots of queries to the root servers (I guess) but receives no response, and then named replies with "server failure". I really don't get what's going on.

What's really strange is why queries relayed by a local nameserver (dnsmasq or named) don't get any result, while "plain" queries do.

Something else that's weird: 'hosts' on /etc/nsswitch.conf was set like

hosts:      files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns

Is this right?!

I changed it to:

hosts:      files dns

But things didn't get any better...

Still stuck. Damn it =/ Thks anyway for your help. Any additional ideas?

Regards,

Andre