F10 -- How do I start AR5413 interface?

Rodney Morris rodamorris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 4 19:28:32 UTC 2008

On 12/4/08, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> Rodney Morris wrote:

> > [trimmed]

> ath5k

> > >  No. Nothing like that there.
> > >

> > Hmmm. . ..  Other than looking through the log file and dmesg for
> > anything odd, I only have a couple of more things for you to try.
> >
> > 1.  Edit /etc/modprobe.conf and add "alias wifi0 ath5k", making sure
> > to include a blank line at the end of the file.  Then, reboot.
> >

>  NO /etc/modprobe.conf !!!!!!
>
>  Why? This is probably why no sound either!

I was equally vexed when I found no /etc/modprobe.conf on my F10
installation.  I needed to add an modprobe option for my case's LCD
display to work properly.  Fortunately, creating the file and adding
the appropriate stanza worked.

[snip]

> > 2.  If you can obtain your wireless card's MAC address, add an entry
> > to /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net, using what is
> listed for eth0
> > as a guide.  (I don't know if modifying the udev rules in this manner
> > is considered the best practice.)
> >

>  Well it looks like something is recognized:
>
>  # iwconfig wlan0
>  wlan0 IEEE 802.11b ESSID:""
>  Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
>  Tx-Power=0 dBm
>  Retry min limit:7 RTS thr:off Fragment thr=2352 B
>  Encryption key:off
>  Power Management:off
>  Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
>  Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
>  Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0
>
>  # cat /proc/net/wireless
>  Inter-| sta-| Quality | Discarded packets | Missed | WE
>  face | tus | link level noise | nwid crypt frag retry misc | beacon | 22
>  wlan0: 0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

Are you now able to see access points using NetworkManager and
nm-applet?  If not, does "iwlist wlan0 scan" list access points around
you?

> > If neither of the above work, file a bug (my guess would be against
> > HAL or udev) and use the madwifi packages from rpmfusion or atrpms
> > until the bug is fixed.
> >

>  Challenge with atrpms is kernel patching. I got to like the dkms approach
> that is available via rpmforge for Centos. I was hoping that things would be
> more integrated...

If you like the dkms approach, you should check out the akmod-madwifi
packages in the rpmfusion repo.  From my understanding, akmod packages
are similar to dkms packages in that a new module is compiled when a
new kernel is installed.  I have yet to use any of the akmod packages.
 I'm waiting till amd releases an fglrx driver that works with F10,
but that is another thread.

Rod