Re: Yum errors on rpmfusion in F10: Please help

On 05.12.2008 06:30, Kam Leo wrote:
On Thu, Dec 4, 2008 at 9:14 PM, Dean S. Messing <deanm sharplabs com> wrote:
Recently did a fresh install of F10. All updates (a boatload of them!)
as of yesterday.  Disabled IPv6 (in modprobe.conf) Disabled ip6tables
(chkconfig) and rebooted.  The ipv6 module is not loaded.

Nonetheless, like some others on the list I am getting this error from
yum after installing the rpmfusion repos:

[root neuron ~]# yum  update
Loaded plugins: refresh-packagekit
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.rpmfusion.org/mirrorlist?repo=nonfree-fedora-updates-released-10&arch=i386 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-2, 'Name or service not known')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-nonfree-updates. Please verify its path and try again

These repos were installed using the command suggested by Kevin Kempter:

rpm -ivh http://download1.rpmfusion.org/free/fedora/rpmfusion-free-release-stable.noarch.rpm http://download1.rpmfusion.org/nonfree/fedora/rpmfusion-nonfree-release-stable.noarch.rpm

which installed just fine.

In fact:

[root neuron ~]# rpm -qa | fgrep rpmfus
rpmfusion-nonfree-release-8-6.noarch
rpmfusion-free-release-8-6.noarch

I can get to the metadata file "repomd.xml" just fine by plugging the
URL from the rpmfusion repo into Firefox, but try as I might, yum
refuses to go there or work at all unless I disable the rpmfusion
repos.

Can anyone help me (other some others) fix this?
Thanks

Try using the main rpmfusion server. Edit the rpmfusion repo files in
/etc/yum.repos.d directory, enable the baserul (i.e. remove the "#"
character), and disable the mirrorlist (i.e place a "#" at beginning
of line).

See also:
http://rpmfusion.org/FAQ

Quoting:

=== Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: rpmfusion-foo. Please verify its path and try again ===

Yum cannot connect to the RPM Fusion servers if you get above message. That could be a problem with your local network or a problem with the !MirrorManager servers from RPM Fusion. If it's the latter use this comment to temporary work around the problem:
{{{
su -c "sed -i 's|^#baseurl|baseurl| ; s|^mirrorlist|#mirrorlist|' /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion*free*repo"
}}}

To undo the change later use this command:
{{{
su -c "sed -i 's|^baseurl|#baseurl| ; s|^#mirrorlist|mirrorlist|' /etc/yum.repos.d/rpmfusion*free*repo"
}}}

HTH

CU
knurd