Re: Current state of multi-core awareness

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Current state of multi-core awareness
From: Richard Hughes <hughsient gmail com>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora. <fedora-list redhat com>
Date: 12/05/2008 10:26 AM

On Thu, 2008-12-04 at 15:43 -0900, Jeff Spaleta wrote:
Couldn't  dependency resolution for multiple packages be done
psuedo-parallel when doing updates or installs?

No, yum explodes in several hundred pieces if you try to try to use
multiple threads. I don't even think rpm is threadsafe.

Richard.

I cannot say for certain, but RPM seems threadsafe to me..

Would it not be possible for this scenario:

1. yum reading packages you wish to install/update/remove one at a time (just like now)
2. yum hits a dependency and reads the deplist
3. yum forks another depresolve and continues on the original list, but the root package has not changed. yum max fork = # of CPUs 4. yum will not continue to the next package until all depresolves have completed.

This may have some time savings, unless the root depsolve completes before the forked depsolve. Just throwing out an idea.