F9 to F10 upgrade problem

I have a machine with a old Tyan S2885 MB. I had the x86_64 version of Fedora 9 loaded on it. I boot the machine to run level 3. I recently started noticing problems with the video card when I would use startx to get into GNOME. Symptoms included stray pixels left set to funny values when moving windows around...

I stupidly left this graphics card in the machine when I used an x86_64 DVD to upgrade the machine. The install died after loading approximately 750 of approximately 900 packages. It just froze. I restarted the install. It appeared to pick up where it left off by installing about 150 packages.

After fixing the grub problem I rebooted to find the machine is using a Fedora 10 kernel, but the majority of the packages on the machine are for Fedora 9. When I run you update there are dependency problems due to the odd configuration.

Is there anything I can do to work around this?

TIA,
Pete