Re: Laser Printers

Mike Chambers wrote:
Anyone know of any good ones that aren't that expensive and print pretty
fast?  Do they connect via USB and/or parallel cable and how supported
are they for linux?

A couple of years ago I picked up a Samsung CLP-510 at a BJs for $200. Its a color laser and had "Linux Compatible" written on the box. No complaints on how well it works with Linux. It even came with LPR-ng drivers when I was running FC3 and it continues to work with FC5 and F8.

Samsung now has a "unified" Linux driver, so things may have improved in that area.

It has an optional second paper tray. Also has a side feeder for envelopes and strange sized paper.

USB interface, the CLP-510N had a network card for ethernet access. Parallel is obsolete printer technology these days.

The only complaint I have is the price of toner ($100-125 per cartridge for each of 4 colors: CMYB. You can find closer to $75 if you go with "refilled" cartridges). Also, $35 for a toner waste cartridge (throw it away when its full). Just like the inkjets, they gouge you on the consumables.

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com