USB printer Epson TX101 + generic USB driver on F10?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 6 01:00:30 UTC 2008

Steve Repo wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 1:04 AM, Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com> wrote:
>> Steve Repo wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>>
>>> I purchased a multifunction Epson TX101 Inkjet printer. I didn't do my
>>> research for linux support and this is a fairly new printer.
>>>
>>> I' plugged it into my F10 box.  The printer is recognized but the
>>> driver isn't there (selectred drive is for Epson scan 2500 or
>>> something like that,). I'm unable to print.
>>>
>>> xsane refuses to recognise the scanner as well.
>>>
>>> So, is there a generic USB printer/scanner driver I could use or is
>>> there something else I can do to get this working?
>>>
>> There was a package I pulled from the Epson site, or a link thereon, and as
>> I recall it had kernel modules or cups modules, or similar not very portable
>> stuff. However, it dropped in and worked on an FC6 machine, and nothing
>> newer. You might poke around and see if there is something newer, and also
>> try iscan, I never got sane working, or missed it, iscan does what I need.
>>
>> If all else fails, and you have the hardware, you might do a minimal FC6
>> install with the package in a KVM machine, and connect the USB to that.
>> Slightly complex, but as a device controller it really beats using Windows!
>> ;-)
>>

> Thanks for the response!  I did look harder since you mentioned that
> Epson does support printers on Linux separately.
>
> I found their site here,
> http://avasys.jp/hp/page000001300/hpg000001243.htm
>
> Although the sites lists upto "Fedora Core 6" as supported during the
> distribution selection, you get a Fedora 9 RPM!  I was pleasantly
> surprised.

They really meant it when I was trying to get my CX7400 working, I will have to
go look again and test on my system, but that would let me get off FC6 (not that
I'm having any issues here). I have an Epson printer for printable DVD which I
got as a bonus when I bought a Christmas present, maybe that will be supported
as well!

> The drivers installed and works.

I'm glad I got you in the right direction, and you have gotten me looking for a
current version of the driver, which would make me very happy.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>