Re: Partitioning usb disk drive for multiboot

Dave Feustel wrote:
I would like to partition a usb disk drive with enough partitions to
boot 4 different linux/freebsd operating systems bootable using grub.
Unfortunately, (among other things) I am confused by the differences
between partitions and slices (which I first read about in the context
of OpenBSD). Do I need a /boot partition for each OS or just one /boot
partition with images of all the different kernels I want to boot?

You can share swap, as long as you don't do anything silly with hibernate. I suspect that you could share boot between Redhat distributions (haven't tried) but I don't think BSD will play well with sharing /boot.

You probably want the Fedora boot to be the default, and boot the others using chain loader.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>