Partitioning usb disk drive for multiboot

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 6 15:43:08 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> I would like to partition a usb disk drive with enough partitions to
> boot 4 different linux/freebsd operating systems bootable using grub.
> Unfortunately, (among other things) I am confused by the differences
> between partitions and slices (which I first read about in the context
> of OpenBSD). Do I need a /boot partition for each OS or just one /boot
> partition with images of all the different kernels I want to boot?

You can share swap, as long as you don't do anything silly with hibernate. I
suspect that you could share boot between Redhat distributions (haven't tried)
but I don't think BSD will play well with sharing /boot.

You probably want the Fedora boot to be the default, and boot the others using
chain loader.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>