Re: root in FC 10

On Sat, 2008-12-06 at 01:42 -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sat, 06 Dec 2008 16:10:36 +1030
> Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au> wrote:
>
> > Compared to logging in graphically as root leaves you
> > much more open to security flaws in the graphical systems doing much
> > more than you were doing.
>
> Ah yes, here it is again - GUIS are horribly flawed and
> ridden through with security bugs.
>
> If that is really the case, then no one should be logging into
> any GUI at all for any reason since you'll be exposing your
> own data to all those security kooties waiting to leap out
> of the GUIs on them.
----
I think you are spinning this with your own conceptions.

I seem to recall someone saying that no one has audited all of the GUI
applications for security issues and given that code will execute at the
privilege level of the operator, why give unaudited programs root
privileges to operate?

Craig