FC11: Two Suggestions

abhishek rane abhishekrane at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 12:52:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 2:06 AM, <homburg at tips-q.com> wrote:

> 1. I don't want to start a KDE food fight. I suspect that
> it's a generational thing. In any event, I would think that
> enough interest exists in the 3.5x "branch" to reconsider
> including it on the install media. How many people are
> installing "Sugar?"
>
> Again, I am not knocking KDE4. However, it is a radical
> departure from something that I have been using since RH-9,
> possibly earlier.
>
> 2. The release notes: "This is to support gdm no longer
> allowing the root user to log in to the graphical desktop."
>
> While this is consistent with best practices and can be
> changed by editing the file in pam.d, it just seems to me
> that Fedora should not be making this decision for users.
> Particularly on the first boot into a new system, some find
> it very advantageous to log in as root. It's really up to
> the end user to determine their threshold for risk
> tolerance.
> --
> "Neither Lifestyle nor Agenda"
> http://www.tips-Q.com
>
> --

Well KDE4 I would agree is a radical departure from KDE3.x.y but still KDE4
has revolutionized usability factor and about stability and other factors I
guess Fc11 will have KDE 4.2 stable so I don't think people would even
consider going to 3.5x but still  people can always use older versions of
fedora for the love of 3.5.

--
www.abhishekrane.com