Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

homburg at tips-Q.com homburg at tips-Q.com
Sun Dec 7 19:07:59 UTC 2008

On Sun, 07 Dec 2008 11:16:35 -0500
Linuxguy123 <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am really frustrated by some of the things that I hear
> said on this board.  Specifically when someone comes on
> here and touts the "Fedora is bleeding edge software" and
> "if it isn't stable enough for you, go get another
> distribution".
>
> That is NOT the intent of Fedora.   Fedora is NOT "by
> developers for developers and the hell with the end
> user".
>
> Its ultimate goal is to produce production quality user
> ready distributions.
>
> Max Spevack addressed the specific topic of goals on
> Slashdot a while ago.
> http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

I think that Max was either a tad disingenuous or,
possibly, unaware of the economic model. Redhat spends
considerable sums on Fedora and has a fiduciary obligation
to its shareholders. There is nothing wrong with that. Not
at all. Fedora is a great "product." I accept it for what
it is.

"Production quality" is a very ambiguous threshold. Fedora
is definitely NOT production quality for a server. The
release and obsolescence frequency make it a poor choice
given that new releases cannot always be "yummed" into
submission. Indeed, IMO, even the update frequency is too
high and may introduce too many new elements at one time.
Updates in RHEL/CentOS are far less frequent and tend to be
one at a time which reduces risk.
--
"Neither Lifestyle nor Agenda"
http://www.tips-Q.com