Re: "normalize" for streaming audio

On Sun, 2008-12-07 at 18:03 -0600, Frank Cox wrote:
> I was just listening to some streaming audio where the volume changed
> between tunes -- so quiet you can't hear it, to BLAST!

A one-off, or do you get that all the time?

I'm surprised that streaming audio would do that, I'd have thought that
they'd take the mentality that traditional radio stations take - to
compress what they send, so everything's the same too-loud level.

Thankfully our classical station doesn't compress, and they don't have
hyped up hosts, either.  It's a strange change when you hear them play a
guest's choice of music, and you hear an uncompressed pop song over the
radio.

--
[tim localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686