OK, who did what to dovecot?

Using dovecot's "deliver" agent in my ~/.forward file was working fine
till I installed updates last night, then found all my mail had
bounced into the aether this morning because deliver could no
longer read /etc/dovecot.conf to get mailbox and filter settings.

I found an /etc/dovecot.conf.rpmnew file and I also found that
my /etc/dovecot.conf file had changed from 644 to 640. I changed
it back to 644, but all the mail that came in during the night
apparent completely disappeared (which did at least lead me to
discover postfix's "soft_bounce" option, which is, as of this
morning, set to "yes" instead of "no" :-).

Anyone know what is actually supposed to be going on with this
stuff? I don't want every dovecot update to break things again.