Live CD without CD?

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Mon Dec 8 17:21:38 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have a machine with no CD drive,
> and I was wondering if I could run the Fedora Live KDE CD
> from the hard disk -
> I mean by copying the ISO file to the hard disk.
> abstracting the isolinux directory,
> and adding an approriate grub stanza to boot from this?

If its new enough to boot from USB, then use livecd-tools to create a
bootable USB flash drive and install from that.

With the recent advent of 64GB USB flash drives, its not unreasonable to
use a converted livecd as the main drive for the system.

I have one with two partitions.  Both are formatted as ext3, which
allows the system to boot with both a root and home partition extension
greater than 2GB.

On the other partition, I have my music collection.

Now, when I am away from work or home, I can plug this USB stick into
any computer that can boot it, and have my normal working environment!
Its nice.

Good Luck!