Upgrade from F9 -> F10 xorg.conf problem

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon Dec 8 18:06:54 UTC 2008

Steven W. Orr wrote:

>> I upgraded from F9 to F10. In my xorg.conf I had this set:
>>
>> Section "InputDevice"
>>        Identifier "Keyboard0"
>>        Driver      "kbd"
>>        Option      "XkbModel" "pc105"
>>        Option      "XkbLayout" "us"
>>        Option      "XkbOptions" "ctrl:swapcaps"
>> EndSection
>>
>> The ctrl:swapcaps no longer seems to take. i.e., I want my ctrl and
>> capslock to be switched.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> This is probably caused by the switch to evdev for input.  You might
> have better luck setting the options via hal, with something like this
> in /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-keymap.fdi:
>
> <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
> <deviceinfo version="0.2">
>     <device>
>         <match key="info.capabilities" contains="input.keys">
>             <merge key="input.xkb.options"
> type="string">ctrl:swapcaps</merge>
>         </match>
>     </device>
> </deviceinfo>
>
> And then you should be able to remove the InputDevice section in
> xorg.conf (or remove xorg.conf entirely).
>
> ---------Me again-------------------
> I tried this and didn't get anywhere. What I did was to create
> /etc/hal/fdi/policy/11-keymap.fdi
> followed by
> /etc/init.d/haldaemon restart
> and then relogging in.
>
> Also, I note that in the man page for evdev, there is no option for
> XkbOptions.
>
> I think I'm close. Any suggestions?
>
> Also, I have an old .Xmodmap file to do the same thing that now fails to
> pass through the xmodmap program.
>
> Here's the screen:
>
> 524 > cat .Xmodmaprc-20050222
> remove mod1 = Meta_L
> remove mod1 = Meta_R
> remove mod1 = Alt_L
> remove mod1 = Alt_R
> remove mod4 = Alt_L
> remove mod4 = Alt_R
> remove mod4 = Meta_L
> remove mod4 = Meta_R
> keycode 64 = Meta_L
> keycode 113 = Meta_R
> keycode 115 = Alt_L
> keycode 116 = Alt_R
> add mod1 = Meta_L
> add mod4 = Alt_L
>
> !
> ! Swap Caps_Lock and Control_L
> !
> remove Lock = Caps_Lock
> remove Control = Control_L
> keysym Control_L = Caps_Lock
> keysym Caps_Lock = Control_L
> add Lock = Caps_Lock
> add Control = Control_L
>
> !
> ! Set up the mouse
> !
> !pointer = 1 2 3 4 7 6 5
> pointer = 1 2 3 7 6 4 5
> 525 > xmodmap < !$
> xmodmap < .Xmodmaprc-20050222
> xmodmap:  up to 3 keys per modifier, (keycodes in parentheses):
>
> shift       Shift_L (0x32),  Shift_R (0x3e)
> lock        Caps_Lock (0x42)
> [...]
This problem is preventing me from installing F-10 on this computer.

I have a script that runs:

    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 116=degree'

    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 117=mu'

    /usr/bin/xmodmap -e 'keycode 66=NoSymbol'

When I run of those in the F-10 computer it corrupts the keyboard
mapping, the worst thing is that the down arrow key prints a "°" degree
symbol to the screen with  the first command which should change a
Windows key to "°".

I am satisfied if I can simply disable the Caps Lock key.

I will be watching responses to your problem.

Bob Goodwin