Re: Sprint service smartphone recommendation for F10?

Max Pyziur wrote:
Greetings,

Per the subject line, would anyone have any recommendations on a
smartphone under a Sprint plan that smoothly works with F10?

Samsung Instinct?
The new Palm Centros?
One of the Blackberries?

Thanks!

Max Pyziur
pyz brama com

I have a Centro and have used it a lot with both my Nokia N810 and with my laptop through F9 and F10.

The bluez package has changed a bit on F10, so that I have to manually make the connection and start the rfcomm process.

So I don't think that basic compatibility has changed in F10, just some methodologies.

Also, dial-up entries for NetworkManager changed in F9, and I have not tried to mess with it in F10.

Here is what I do now on 64bit F10:

I used the bluetooth applet to establish a trusted connection the first time -- then:

$ sudo hcitool scan
   to get the MAC address of my phone for cut and paste.

$ sudo sdptool browse paste_my_mac_address

This shows that on my Centro, dial up networking is on channel 2.

$ sudo rfcomm connect /dev/rfcomm0 paste_my_mac_address 2

This creates the connection and the device, and runs in the foreground.

In another terminal I can issue an ifup sprint or wvdial sprint, which I had previously set up using system-config-network to work with /dev/rfcomm0 as the modem.

For an extended session you may wish to kill Networkmanager so it does not stomp on you.

CAVEAT EMPTOR:

You may need to purchase a special 'plan' from Sprint to enable dial-up networking.

NOTE:

Here is my /etc/wvdial.conf as created by system-config-network as a reference.

[Modem0]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
Baud = 115200
SetVolume = 0