Re: (Off Topic ) Open Source: The Model Is Broken ??

On Sat, 6 Dec 2008 09:56:13 +0530 "Rahul Tidke" <rahul excelize com>
> http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/nov2008/tc20081130_276152.htm
> Any comments from Fedora community??

	Well, I think he makes some interesting points, but he's
drawing a broad generalization from very little presented data. And, as
other intelligent people have pointed out in the thread (and as the
article author kind of pointed out, but ignored to a large degree,
perhaps for reasons of sensationalism--and it worked, look how long
this thread is) open-source is a development model, not a business

	However, I run a business (Everything Solved, Inc.) that is
supported entirely by providing services related to open-source
software. It's been quite successful for several years. So that's one

	If he's saying, "The words 'open-source' aren't a genie in a
bottle," then yeah, he's right, but I think we've all known that since
2000. The bubble was a long time ago now, folks. :-)

	As always, you can't just go around stealing VCs' money and not
*selling* anything and expect your business to go anywhere. Big
news. :-) There's no real get-rich-quick in the world, there's only
"work hard, be smart, be well-organized, be lucky, and maybe you'll get

Competent, Friendly Bugzilla and Perl Services. Everything Else, too.