Re: Workaround for Ksynaptics. (Was preventing people from making a mistake)

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 02:45:22 Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Well, ask those who disabled SHMConfig by default, they know the details, I
> don't.

OK - maybe one of those will see this query and respond. Meanwhile, here's a
snippet from an Asus computer company forum:
***************************************
 Matthew Garrett wrote on 2006-03-30: Re: synaptics should default to Option
SHMConfig on (permalink)

No it shouldn't. It's a security risk.
 Nicolò Chieffo wrote on 2006-03-30: (permalink)

why a security risk?
 Matthew Garrett wrote on 2006-03-30: (permalink)

Because there's no authentication mechanism for it.
 Nicolò Chieffo wrote on 2006-03-30: (permalink)

do you mean that any user can launch a command to modify touchpad settings,
even if he doen's have an active X session?
 Matthew Garrett wrote on 2006-03-30: (permalink)

Yes.
If that's the end-all and be-all of it, it doesn't strike me as so 'massive' a
security risk, as I've seen the security hole described in some places...but,
maybe I'm missing the obvious
--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD