Re: Fedora 10 + Intel 945 poor GL performance

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Brian Mury wrote:

- switching to a console (such as Ctrl-Alt-F2) and back makes OpenGL
switch from hardware rendering to software rendering (this is the most
reproducible issue - it always happens - the next two I cannot reproduce
on demand, but seem to happen at random)

Without Compiz running, glxgears reports 319fps (I have no idea if that's good or bad - I thought Fedora 8 used to give me a much higher number but I no longer have it installed to test with). Seems to stay the same after switching to a console and back again.

When running Compiz (without glxgears), switching to a console and back again causes Xorg to give me a black screen with a mouse pointer. After about 20 seconds the desktop reappears. I thought this might be related to waiting for a VSync so I told Compiz not to wait for a VSync - no difference.

- sometimes, when switching to a console, instead of the console I see a
what looks like a corrupted copy of my desktop (though I cannot interact
with it at all). Switching back to the desktop is fine, but the consoles
all seem to stay that way until I reboot.

I haven't seen this problem, although I don't switch to consoles that often.

- occasionally, X dies completely - my screen goes black, and several
seconds latter the gdm login screen comes up.

When trying to resume from suspend or hibernate, my machine sits on a black Xorg screen for a long time (black screen but with a movable mouse pointer). Sometimes it eventually recovers after several minutes, frequently it doesn't recover at all and I have to powercycle the machine.

and yep, I do seem to be missing a xorg.conf, odd that I didn't notice
that before.

I understand that we're no longer supposed to have an xorg.conf for "normal" systems. Personally I think this is a really bad decision if only because there is now no template xorg.conf there to edit when I need to add a custom option.

 - Steve
   xmpp:steve nexusuk org   sip:steve nexusuk org   http://www.nexusuk.org/