Fedora 10 ypbind error

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Dec 10 15:21:02 UTC 2008

Ralf W. Grosse-Kunstleve wrote, On 12/09/2008 02:38 PM:
> Hi Dave,
>
> I think you are correct, the "invalid source port" is indeed unrelated.
>
>> You're not very specific. I am guessing that NIS is not working? Can you nudge it into making more error
>> messages, maybe execute 'ypcat passwd'? Result of '/etc/init.d/ypbind status'?
>
> # /etc/init.d/ypbind start
> SIOCADDRT: File exists
> Starting NIS service:                                      [  OK  ]
> Binding NIS service: ...............                       [  OK  ]
>
> # ypcat passwd
> No such map passwd.byname. Reason: Can't bind to server which serves this domain

Q1: network up before starting NIS? (watch out for NetworkMangler^H^H^H^Hager
starting only after someone logs in.)
Q2: can you ping the NIS server or its backups?
Q3: portmapper running?
chkconfig --list portmap
http://www.mail-archive.com/cooker@linux-mandrake.com/msg75448.html

another command to add to your yp test suite: ypwhich

Please keep us posted... some of us still have to deal with that system a bit
longer.
--
Todd Denniston