Re: sata_nv OK in f10?

Tim wrote:
On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 19:35 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
I don't know if its the disk, the system's power supply, or the
chipset.  But I *have* lost 2 other HDs in the same machine (120GB and
40GB)

Or crap disc drives?  I won't touch western digital drives, any more.
I've had several of them die with a very short life span, in several
different computers.

These are all Maxtors which have died or are dying. My WD SATAs are just fine.

Overheating is also a problem, some of them get damn hot, and start
behaving badly.  Putting a fan in front of the drives in one of my
systems solved random computer stuff-ups.

I have a case fan blowing over all of my hard drives. It could still be heat, but the SMART stuff isn't user friendly enough to say *why* the SMART test is failing.

But if you have a drive killing system, I'd try and find the cause,
rather than just put up with it.

I wish the system would just TELL me what's wrong, other than just something's wrong. sigh

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome rcn com