sata_nv OK in f10?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed Dec 10 15:34:02 UTC 2008

Tim wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-09 at 19:35 -0500, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
>> I don't know if its the disk, the system's power supply, or the
>> chipset.  But I *have* lost 2 other HDs in the same machine (120GB and
>> 40GB)
>
> Or crap disc drives?  I won't touch western digital drives, any more.
> I've had several of them die with a very short life span, in several
> different computers.

These are all Maxtors which have died or are dying.  My WD SATAs are
just fine.

> Overheating is also a problem, some of them get damn hot, and start
> behaving badly.  Putting a fan in front of the drives in one of my
> systems solved random computer stuff-ups.

I have a case fan blowing over all of my hard drives.  It could still be
heat, but the SMART stuff isn't user friendly enough to say *why* the
SMART test is failing.

> But if you have a drive killing system, I'd try and find the cause,
> rather than just put up with it.

I wish the system would just TELL me what's wrong, other than just
something's wrong.   sigh

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com