Sed programming question

I think sed can handle relational operators, but I have not
been able to figure it out. Am I correct in assuming that
sed can use relational operators such as OR (|) or AND
(&)?

Here is an example, but does not work:

echo "The" | sed -e '/(the)|(THE)|(The)/i\ GOOD!'

I tried looking up examples on the Internet, but could
not find it.  My brain is getting real mushy.

Kind regards,
Dan