Why was this dbus disaster released mid-release?

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Dec 11 21:21:17 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Why was this dbus disaster released mid-release?
From: Jeff Spaleta <jspaleta at gmail.com>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 12/11/2008 01:03 PM

> Dbus hasn't been the only package affected by a pre-mature push to
> stable.  Its happened to less critical applications as well. I've had
> applications I had to scramble to update because a dep was pushed
> directly into stable by another maintainer.

The dbus security policy change was the heart of the issue. If it had
been reverted, other packages would not have needed to be changed. I'm
not saying the change would need to be permanently reverted either nor
am I calling for anyone's head.

> We have to be very careful about finding the balance between
> protecting users from human error without overburdening maintainers
> with a set of bureaucracy that makes it more difficult for them to
> contribute.

I'm not oblivious to this fact.

> Part of that balance could be having more automated testing.. but that
> sort of thing takes people to develop and implement.  If there was a
> general call made for new contributors to help implement more
> automated testing would you step up and help write code to implement
> that?

Automated X-driven testing? Nothing exists yet, correct? I would love to
have something to test my software at work. Is there a SIG or mailing
list of folks willing to do such a thing? Yes, I'd be willing to help.