Some people mis interpret Fedora's Mission Statement.

Dave Stevens geek at uniserve.com
Fri Dec 12 00:33:56 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 09 December 2008 10:55:53 am Rahul Sundaram wrote:

> >> making such decisions and I know of no hard public hard
> >> data. Enthusiasm doesn't determine how many people work
> >> on something full time. Paying customers do.
> >
> > Do we pay for Fedora?  > We don't pay for Fedora.  So how can Paying
> > customers determine the
>
> decisions.  Are there users who pay for Fedora?
>
> > Or
> > You are talking about RHEL customers?
>
> Neither specifically. Just that, if someone has to work on a product or
> part of the product, full time, then a commercial organization would
> only do it usually if customers are willing to pay for it, now or in the
> near future. Enthusiasts, by their nature, "pay" with their time instead.

And on that note, do you see any substantial contributions coming from
academics? They have salaries too even if they aren't commercial orgs,
likewise non-profit orgs and gov't. Didn't DHS contribute scalpel and
foremost? didn't yum come from Duke?

Dave

--
Canada must refuse to be entangled in any more wars fought to make the world
safe for capitalism.

-- The Regina Manifesto, 1933