Contributions

Dave Stevens wrote:

And on that note, do you see any substantial contributions coming from academics?

I don't see much of code but there are a number of people with a background in Academics one way or the other, contributing. Usually, on their own.

They have salaries too even if they aren't commercial orgs,
likewise non-profit orgs and gov't. Didn't DHS contribute scalpel and foremost? didn't yum come from Duke?

Seth Vidal used to work as a sys admin in Duke and wrote yum to help automate more of his work. I don't know if I would consider that a Duke contribution necessarily but Duke has helped out in a number of other substantial ways. Hardware and bandwidth for some of the Fedora infrastructure systems for quite sometime for instance.

http://fedoraproject.org/sponsors

Rahul