infrastructure modest proposal

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Dec 12 23:04:53 UTC 2008

Jeff Spaleta wrote, On 12/12/2008 05:21 PM:
> On Fri, Dec 12, 2008 at 1:03 PM, Anne Wilson <annew at kde.org> wrote:
>> How often has this happened?  In the real scheme of things, what percentage of
>> packages have caused problems like this?  I'm not denying the problems that
>> some people have had, but is there, perhaps, some over-reaction?
>
> How often has what happened? An accidental push to stable meant for
> testing? I don't think we could get an accurate count on that.

<SNIP>

> Also keep in mind that every legitimate security update which does not
> go to updates-testing presents a similar breakage risk because it
> short-circuiting a QA process for the sake of rushing the security fix
> to users.
>
> -jef

While looking at LWN's coverage of the current issues[1] I noticed among the
comments a link to an update policy development page for fedora[2], which then
points to a  Package Maintainer Responsibility Policy[3] as the current policy.

Perhaps folks should look at these before making some of their comments. [Not
aimed at JS, this just happened to be last message in the thread when I began
the reply.]

[1] http://lwn.net/Articles/311146/
[2] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/UpdatesPolicy
[3] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/PackageMaintainers/MaintainerResponsibility