VM question

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Dec 13 00:51:39 UTC 2008

Kevin Kempter wrote:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008 07:44:12 pm Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>> Kevin Kempter wrote:
>>> I'm looking for any thoughts/feedback you'all may have.
>> I have Flash 10 x86_64 installed and running nicely. You're willing to
>> dump Fedora for ESX over flash? That makes little sense.
>
> Flash is a minor piece - however based on what I've read lately around the net
> It seems that the 386 version is more 'desktop' friendly but I have little
> solid examples. I'm wondering what folks on the fedora list think of:
> a) the claim that Fedora 10 386 is more desktop friendly than Fedora 10 x86_64

Scan this list for the number of questions about making stuff work on x86_64.
The short answer is that there is a way to do about everything, but it is less
"drop-in and run" than i686. The people who say they never had a problem fall
into three categories, (a) real gurus who solve problems so fast they don't
notice them, (b) people who happen to do only things that never *find* a
problem, and (c) people who want you to think they belong in class (a).

It's not rocket science, but it will be more work for most people.

> and
> b) thoughts/experiences, etc per running VM's on top of VMware's ESX Server

Although I heard that using a PAE kernel was going to be dog slow, I actually
tried it, and using KVM with virtual machines of reasonable 2-3GB size, it is
slower enough to measure but not to feel. I run a bunch of assorted servers and
performance is comparable (down at most 4-5% for what I do).

I would say that since you have 64 bit installed you should forge ahead unless
it starts to really be more trouble than it's worth.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>